Monday 2 May 2016

Craft & Design Month May 2016 & More Fantasy Fish

Craft & Design Magazine - May/June 2016




















The Fantasy Fish project has been featured in the current issue of Craft & Design MagazineAs you may know, May is Craft & Design Month - a whole month to celebrate crafts across the UK.  First launched by Craft & Design magazine in 2011, Craft & Design Month is an opportunity to support, promote and celebrate designer makers and small craft businesses across Britain.  

 

And Hippystitch is joining in that celebration with a Fantasy Fish extravaganza.  Deborah New & I have three workshops in May where you can come along and unleash your creativity with knitting, stitching, pompom making, finger knitting, or knitting with very large needles. 

Tuesday 10 May 2016 – The Winning Post Pub 
127-129 Bishopthorpe Road, York, YO23 1NZ 
19:00 – 21:00

Saturday 21 May 2016 – The Golden Ball Pub 
2 Cromwell Road, York, YO1 6DU
12:00 – 14:00

Thursday 26 May 2016 – Rowntree Park CafĂ© 
Rowntree Park, Richardson Street, York, YO23 1JU 
14:00 – 16:00
Do drop in - all materials are provided and all the fish you make will go to make up our Fantasy Fish Yarnstorm in Rowntree Park and support the York Flood Appeal.
Catch of the day!

I have been knitting a few more fish.  Using my goldfish knitting pattern and self patterning chunky yarn - RICO design creative melange chunky 50g - I knitted 3 fish and had a small amount left over.  The recommended needle size for the yarn was 6-7mm but I knitted mine on 5.5mm to get a closer knit as I was stuffing them.  I used buttons for eyes and matched them to some of the yarn colours.  They ended up approx. 23cm by 8cm (9 inches by 3 inches)

Fat fish with fins

I also tried another self patterning yarn but using the Fat Fish knitting pattern.  I gave this one some fins by picking up a few stitches and knitting out till I thought it looked right.  I'm calling this one submarine fish because that's what I think he looks like!  He's knitted on 3.75mm needles and is about 15cm by 8.5cm (6 inches by 3.5 inches).  This was knitted with a double knitting yarn - James C Brett Marble Double Knit Yarn 100g (there's still about 90g left!) and the recommended needle size was 4mm.
If you're on Twitter try looking out for #fantasyfish and post a picture of any you make using that hashtag!

2 comments:

  1. Impressive. I'm not much of a knitter but may give one of the fishy patterns a go.

    ReplyDelete